Sports injury assessment and treatment to diagnose and determine the underlying cause of your issue to get you back to running, impact exercise, weight lifting and contact sport.
Sports injuries are extremely common, and unfortunately these injuries, aches and pains can stop us from participating in the activities and sports we love.
So commonly sports injuries and pains are not fully rehabilitated meaning they come back time and time again. For example, a runner who continues to get foot, ankle or knee pain anytime they try to increase their training load or running distances.
A Physiotherapy assessment will focus on getting a thorough history and performing a detailed assessment to not only diagnose the condition but to find out exactly WHY it is occurring. The “why” is essential for your rehabilitation because if we can get a great understanding of why the issue has occurred we can rectify these issues, improve performance and focus on prevention.
This may involve assessing :
- Ligament, meniscus and muscle integrity
- Muscle length and range of motion
- Running technique
- Foot posture and movement during stance, walking and running
- Core and trunk stability
- Footwear integrity, support and quality
- Muscle strength and endurance
- Joint range of motion
- Balance and single leg stability
- Muscle power during jumping, and hopping activities
Common sporting injuries may include:
- Achilles tendon pain
- Ligament injuries, sprain and tears (knee and ankle ligament injuries)
- Meniscal injuries of the knee
- Muscle tears or strains (such as hamstring, calf and quadricep muscle injuries)
- Shoulder pain
- Shoulder dislocations
- Foot pain with running
- Knee pain with running
- Hip pain with running
- ITB pain
- Low back pain